Former Macon County Prosecutor on Your Side
Navigating the Illinois criminal justice system alone can be scary. If you have been accused of a crime or learned there is a pending investigation, you may need an experienced criminal defense attorney.
Nrupa Patel of Bolen Robinson & Ellis, LLP, is here to help. Prior to becoming a criminal defense attorney at BRE Law, Nrupa was a Macon County Prosecutor for four years. This valuable experience provided her with the knowledge about how the prosecution will build its case. In addition to this relevant experience, Nrupa can bring knowledge and skill while passionately advocating on your behalf. She is willing to handle cases in Macon County and throughout Central Illinois.
Full Service Decatur Criminal Attorney
What Happens After A Conviction
Getting convicted of a crime in Illinois can be life altering. While a conviction may be avoided by court supervision, convicted individuals may face a variety of punishments, such as:
- A criminal record – This may appear in background checks on employment applications and other matters.
- Community service – This can substitute entirely or partially for other judicial remedies and sanctions, such as incarceration or fines.
- Incarceration – Jail or prison time can be imposed on convicted individuals.
- Fines – These can be thousands of dollars, and are typically paid to the court.
- Restitution – When crimes affect other people, judges can order the convicted individual to compensate victims for their losses or injuries.
- Probation – In some cases, a convicted individual may be ordered to serve a time of probation. This can be imposed after serving a jail sentence or can entirely take the place of incarceration.
In addition to those punishments, there are numerous social and economic consequences that an individual may face if convicted of a crime in Illinois. For example, an individual may be denied a job because of a poor criminal record.
Contact BRE Law for a Free Consultation
Contacting an experienced Decatur criminal defense attorney can help mitigate some of those punishments and consequences. Although it is not always possible to anticipate charges, it is often advisable to contact a Decatur criminal attorney before charges are filed. Doing so will allow the lawyer to protect your rights as an investigation unfolds.
If you have been charged with a crime or learn of a pending investigation in Central Illinois, please contact us to schedule a free consultation with Nrupa Patel.
The BRE Law Criminal Law Blog
A DUI can be life changing. That’s why you need an experienced and aggressive DUI lawyer on your side. Former prosecutor Nrupa Patel is here to help.
Domestic battery charges are very serious and can have severe future ramifications. This post describes ten things you should know about domestic battery charges.
Juvenile law is an area of criminal law that is applicable to persons not old enough to be held responsible for criminal acts. This post highlights ten general things that you should know about juvenile law.
Court supervision is a form of sentencing that is available for many misdemeanor crimes committed in Illinois. BRE Law can help you navigate this area of criminal law. Please click the above link to learn more about how court supervision may be a viable alternative to a criminal conviction.