Central Illinois Bus Accident Lawyers.
Buses serve as a popular form of transportation, and are especially popular in Illinois as thousands each day rely on school buses, public transportation buses, or charter buses. However, bus accidents occur all too frequently on streets and highways across America. The experienced Decatur personal injury lawyers at Bolen Robinson & Ellis understand how traumatic a bus accident can be, and our bus accident lawyers are committed to ensuring that bus accident victims obtain the results they deserve.
About bus accidents.
Given their large size, buses pose a particularly dangerous threat to both riders and those sharing the road with them. Often, crashes are caused by:
- Reckless driving and failure to follow traffic regulations
- Fatigued drivers
- Inadequately trained bus drivers and improper safety policies
- Poor weather conditions and visibility
- Defective bus equipment
- Improper bus maintenance
- Overloaded buses
- Driver inattention
- Drivers operating under the influence
Those accidents may lead to death or serious physical injury for both riders and those sharing the road with buses. Common injuries stemming from bus accidents include:
- Head injuries
- Fractured bones
- Cuts and bruising
- Burn injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal injuries
Injuries due to bus crashes can be complex to litigate because multiple parties may be at fault, including:
- The bus driver
- The bus owner
- The bus management company
- Bus equipment manufacturers
- Other negligent drivers
- Government entities, if the bus is public
School bus accidents.
Throughout the United States, school buses are relied on by millions of children each day. According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (“NHTSA”), students are approximately 70 times more likely to safely get to school if taking a school bus instead of traveling by car. This is largely due to safety designs that are incorporated into school buses, such as heightened visibility and stop-sign arms. Bus despite those safety designs, school bus accidents unfortunately still occur.
School bus accidents can primarily be divided into three categories:
- Single-Vehicle School Bus Accident – Accidents falling in this category occur if the school bus is the only vehicle involved in the crash. This type of crash often occurs when the bus driver operates the bus negligently or carelessly. However, this type of crash can also occur if negligence or recklessness by another motor vehicle driver causes the bus driver to perform an evasive maneuver.
- Multi-Vehicle School Bus Accident – Accidents falling in this category occur when two or more vehicles are involved in a collision. If a child is injured in a multi-vehicle school bus accident, multiple parties may be held liable for injuries and damages.
- Child-Crossing Accident – This type of accident typically occurs when children are either boarding or exiting the bus. Although laws are in place to protect children as they enter or depart a school bus, the NHTSA has provided that this category is the greatest risk to children that regularly rely on school buses.
Hurt in a bus accident? Contact our personal injury attorneys for a free consultation.
Victims of bus accidents often suffer the burden of large expenses, including hospital bills, medical treatment and medication, childcare, loss of personal time with loved ones, and missed time from work. A successful personal injury claim can reimburse victims for those expenses.
The experienced Decatur personal injury lawyers at Bolen Robinson & Ellis are committed to ensuring that traffic accident victims obtain the results that they deserve. If you have been hurt in a bus accident, please contact us to schedule a free consultation with one of our bus accident lawyers.
BRE Law Personal Injury News and Blog
The BRE Law team recently enjoyed a wonderful afternoon on Lake Decatur. This trip reminded us of water safety, and inspired this post about water safety tips. If you enjoy getting out on the water like we do, these 5 water safety tips may help you or your loved one avoid an injury.
Handling a personal injury claim on your own can be stressful. Our experienced personal injury lawyers are here to help, and can help guide you to a successful resolution of your personal injury claim.
Motor vehicle accidents are scary. If you are involved in a car accident, truck accident, or motorcycle accident, this general advice include steps that you can take to help protect yourself.